Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Happy EarthDay All!!! Here's a great idea for something to show the earth that you love her...Plant some tomatoes in hanging pots.  Here's my system that I use.  I got some 2.5 gallon buckets from the local hardware store, fill them up with some bobs mix and cut a 2" hole in the bottom.   Cut a small piece of paper bag to cover the hole and fill with a some good soil mix.  Pack it down good, put the lid on and flip it over.  Cut a small x into the piece of p.b. and plant your tomato, pepper, cucumber, any vine veggie. Water well and let her sit for a few days for the roots to set.  After the couple days, hang it from a solid hook, or build yourself a stand to hang it from.  Install your drip system and you're good to go. I already have 10+ tomato's with about 40 blossoms. I just planted a red pepper and she's doing great. Enjoy!!!
Here's my salad garden.  The arugala is doing great and already gone to flower. The rainbow chard is great, and great for you.  We love it in salads and steamed. Also in the box is some carrots, lettuce, spinach, dill, random squash's, okra and a tomato that popped up from the compost.









Here is the standing box on the east wall.  The broccli is starting to bloom, can't wait.  My peas are getting too much sun I think, but I do have a few blossoms. My new basil plant is thriving as are my radishes.  The green beans are doing good, just got few beans this morning.  The squash blossoms are huge, but not producing fruit. I tried to self-pollinate with a q-tip this morning. Lets see what happens...  

Enjoy your Earthday and plant something!!!!   

Bob

No comments: